10 Warrior Quotes to Face Your Challenges Today
As I was working on “The Way of the Cancer Warrior” project this morning, these quotes reminded me of my dad, and the fierce battle he fought against cancer. Who he was and what he did continues to inspire me every day.
Now maybe you will see these and think, dude, you need to grow up. You’re a frickin’ 35 year-old quoting warrior philosophy like a teenager, and literally thinks he is a modern day Ronin (a vagabond, a samurai with no master). Get a haircut and get a real job.
But maybe, just maybe, they will help you face some struggle or challenge you are facing today, with courage and conviction.
THE WARRIOR’S WAY
1. No matter what it is, there is nothing that cannot be done. If one manifests the determination, he can move heaven and earth as he pleases. — Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai.
2. Do not think of possible outcomes until you have finished with your battle. To do so is foolish and takes your mind off the primary objective, which is to destroy the enemy. ~Miyamoto Musashi
3. The power of faith – thoughts backed by faith will overcome all obstacles…Faith makes it possible to achieve that which man’s mind can conceive and believe. It is a well known fact that one comes, finally, to believe whatever one repeats to one’s self, whether the statement be true or false…Every man is what he is because of the dominating thoughts which he permits to occupy his mind. ~Bruce Lee
4. This will be accomplished if only courage is fixed in one’s heart. If one’s sword is broken, he will strike with his hands. If his hands are cut off, he will press the enemy down with his shoulders. If his shoulders are cut away, he will bite through ten or fifteen enemy necks with his teeth. Courage is such a thing. — Hagakure: Book of the Samurai.
5. The warrior does not depend on anything but himself to beat the enemy… Only through a constant search from within, based on one’s own lifestyle, can the truth be known. It is absolutely a personal thing. Commercialism does nothing to enhance the reality of truth. ~ Miyamoto Musashi
6. Do not acknowledge the possibility that the enemy is stronger than you are. Do not accept the possibility that the enemy is smarter than you are in any way whatsoever…The Way of the warrior does not permit you to accept an inferior position to anything. ~ Miyamoto Musashi
7. Flexibility is a very important attitude. Things will not always go your way regardless of your practice and your attempts to define your own existence…You attack with a technique and it does not work. You try it again and it still does not work. Switch! You must never rely on only one particular attitude to get a job done. The enemy may be prepared for this technique in a way that you may not have anticipated, so it is indeed foolish to try to continue with it. ~Miyamoto Musashi
8. By thinking you must complete the job you will run out of time. By considering things like how many men the enemy has, time piles up; in the end you will give up. No matter if the enemy has thousands of men, there is fulfillment in simply standing them off and being determined to cut them all down, starting from one end. You will finish the greater part of it. – Hagakure: Book of the Samurai
9. The only shame in dying incorrectly is to die a stupid and meaningless death. To die as a warrior means to have crossed swords and either won or lost without any consideration for winning or losing. ~Miyamoto Musashi
10. If a retainer will just think about what he is to do for the day at hand, he will be able to do anything. If it is a single day’s work, one should be able to put up with it. Tomorrow, too, is but a single day. — Hagakure.
Thanks pops for showing me Your Way. I miss you man…
Posted on January 22, 2014, in Philosophy and tagged Bruce Lee quotes, Hagakure quotes, Miyamoto Musashi quotes, motivational quotes, self-help strategies, warrior philosophy. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a Comment.
You must log in to post a comment.